Diverse Cymru have been commissioned by Welsh Government and NHS Wales to carry out an audit of the All-Wales NHS Workforce Policies through an Anti-racist lens. This work was identified as a priority action in the Anti-racist Wales Action Plan.
We are keen to hear from all staff working for any NHS Wales organisation who self-identify as Black, Asian or minoritised ethnic people.
We also have separate focus groups for trade union, equality and diversity, workforce and policy, and NHS Wales employer representatives.
There are additional focus groups for third sector organisations and individuals who self-identify as Black, Asian or minoritised ethnic people who do not currently work for NHS Wales organisations.
You do not need to be an expert on the policies.
This audit and recommendations will be based on the experiences and views of Black, Asian, and minoritised ethnic people who work in NHS Wales organisations. Your views and experiences are central to this project and will lead to changes in All-Wales NHS Workforce Policies and procedures. Diverse Cymru is independent of all NHS Wales organisations. Your participation will be anonymous and no identifiable information will be used in the report.
We are running 3 types of focus groups:
- For staff working for any NHS Wales employer who self-identify as a Black, Asian or minoritised ethnic person.
- For Trade Union, equality and diversity, workforce policy or development, and other NHS Wales employer representatives.
- For third sector organisations and community groups with a focus on anti-racism and the lived experiences of Black, Asian and minoritised ethnic people and individuals who do not work for NHS Wales employers and self-identify as Black, Asian or minoritised ethnic people.
Who are Diverse Cymru?
Diverse Cymru is a leading equality charity in Wales. Our work is cross-characteristic, including anyone who experiences discrimination or disadvantage in Wales. We are independent of any NHS Wales employer or organisation.
What will this audit do?
This audit aims to:
- Engage Black, Asian and minoritised ethnic people who work in NHS Wales organisations to gather your views and experiences, including intersectional experiences.
- Assess language and inclusivity of current All-Wales NHS Workforce Policies and provide recommendations for the future
- Assess how current All-Wales NHS Workforce Policies and procedures disadvantage Black, Asian and minoritised ethnic people working in NHS Wales organisations
- Assess how implementation of current All-Wales Workforce Policies and procedures disadvantage Black, Asian and minoritised ethnic people working in NHS Wales organisations
- Assess the merits and limitations of current All-Wales Workforce Policies and procedures through an Anti-racist lens
- Recommend how to change All-Wales Workforce Policies and procedures to eliminate discrimination and racism
- Identify practices that could be implemented to promote equality, diversity and inclusion for all
This is an Anti-racist audit of the All-Wales Workforce Policies and procedures and how they are implemented in your organisation and area. The audit does not include pay or terms and conditions of service, or local policies.
How can I take part?
You can take part by joining an in person or online focus group or complete our survey if you prefer.
We are holding a series of focus groups for NHS Wales staff who self-identify as Black, Asian, or minoritised ethnic people.
These focus groups are in person across Wales. This is to ensure there is a focus group near you. You are welcome to attend any focus group that works well for you. No focus group is restricted to staff from any particular organisation.
We are also holding online focus groups.
We are also holding a couple of focus groups for Trade Union, equality and diversity, workforce policy and development, and NHS Wales employer representatives. These sessions are hybrid (online and in Cardiff) or online sessions.
We are holding a couple of focus groups in Cardiff and online for third sector organisations and community groups who focus on anti-racism and race equality and for individuals who self-identify as Black, Asian or minoritised ethnic people and do not work for NHS Wales.
All focus groups will cover the same questions and topics. You only need to attend one focus group.
We can reimburse any access, travel, childcare, replacement care (for carers) or other specific expenses you have to attend a focus group
You are welcome to share this invitation with other colleagues in your organisation and other organisations.
You can register for any focus group by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org or by registering on Eventbrite using the link below for the focus group you would like to attend.
When you register, please let us know:
- If you have any access requirements to participate
- Whether you prefer to contribute in Welsh, English, BSL or another language
- Which organisation you work for, if you do.
If you work for or represent any NHS Wales organisation and would prefer to complete a survey, you can complete it online here:
The survey asks the same questions as the focus groups.
You can also download a Word version of the survey here:
Dates and times of focus groups for Black, Asian and minoritised ethnic NHS Wales staff
If you self-identify as a Black, Asian or minoritised ethnic person and work for an NHS Wales organisation please register for one of the following focus groups:
In person focus groups
- Tuesday 18th April – Wrexham. 2 pm – 4 pm.
- Board Room 2, Wrexham Maelor Hospital Trust HQ, Croesnewydd Road, Wrexham LL13 7TD
- Wednesday 19th April – Bangor. 10 am – 12 noon.
Harlech Room, Post Grad Building, Ysbyty Gwynedd, Penrhosgarnedd, Bangor, LL57 2PW
- Friday 21st April – Cwmbran. 1pm – 3pm; 3:30pm – 5:30pm
Seminar Room 8, Education Centre, Grange University Hospital, Cwmbran, Torfaen, NP44 8YN
- Monday 24th April – Aberystwyth. 10am – 12 noon; 12:30pm -2:30pm; 3pm –5pm
Management Offices, Bronglais Hospital, Caradoc Road, Aberystwyth SY23 1ER
- Wednesday 26th April – Newport. 9:30am – 11:30am; 12 noon – 2 pm; 2:30pm – 4:30pm
Meeting Rooms 3 and 4, Caerleon House, Cleppa Park, Newport, NP10 8BA
- Friday 28th April – Parc Nantgarw / Treforest Industrial Estate. 9am – 11am; 12 noon – 2 pm ; 3 pm – 5 pm
Velindre NHS Trust HQ, Unit 2, Charnwood Court, Heol Billingsley, Parc Nantgarw, Rhondda Cynon Taf, CF15 7QZ
- Tuesday 2nd May – Merthyr Tydfil. 9 am – 11 am; 12 noon -2 pm; 3 pm – 5 pm.
Seminar Rooms 2 and 3, The Academic Centre, Keir Hardie University Health Park, Aberdare Road, Merthyr Tydfil, CF48 1BZ
- Wednesday 3rd May – – Swansea. 9:30 am – 11:30 am; 12 noon – 2 pm; 2:30 pm – 4:30 pm. Seminar room 9, The Education Centre, Morriston Hospital, Heol Maes Eglwys, Swansea, SA6 6NL https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/swansea-focus-groups-black-asian-minoritised-ethnic-nhs-wales-staff-tickets-617661882317
- Friday 5th May – Port Talbot. 9 am – 11 am; 11:30 am – 1:30 pm; 2 pm – 4 pm Clinical skills room, Education Centre, Neath Port Talbot Hospital, Baglan Way, Port Talbot, SA12 7BX. https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/port-talbot-focus-groups-black-asian-minoritised-ethnic-nhs-wales-staff-tickets-617683797867
- Tuesday 9th Cardiff. 9:30am – 11:30am; 12 noon – 2pm; 2:30pm – 4:30 pm
University Hospital of Wales, Heath Park Way, Cardiff, CF14 4XW
- Wednesday 10th Penarth, Vale of Glamorgan. 9:30 am – 11:30 am; 12 noon – 2 pm; 3 pm – 5pm.
University Hospital Llandough, Penlan Road, Penarth, CF64 2XX
- Monday 15th May – Bridgend. 9am – 11 am; 12 noon – 2 pm; 3 pm – 5 pm
Prince of Wales hospital, Coity Road, Bridgend, CF31 1RQ
Online focus groups for Black, Asian and minoritised ethnic NHS Wales staff
- Tuesday 25th April. 10am – 12 noon; or 6 pm – 8 pm
- Thursday 27th April. 1 pm – 3 pm; or 7 pm – 9 pm
- Thursday 4th May. 11 am – 1 pm; or 2 pm – 4 pm
All online focus groups are at: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/online-focus-groups-for-black-asian-minoritised-ethnic-nhs-wales-staff-tickets-600158749977
Dates and times of focus groups for Trade Unions, NHS Wales employers, and equality, diversity and inclusion representatives.
If you represent a Trade Union, NHS Wales employer, or are an equality, diversity, and inclusion representative please register for one of the following focus groups:
Dates and times of focus groups for third sector organisations and community groups and Black, Asian, or minoritised ethnic people who do not work for an NHS Wales organisation.
All 3 online focus groups can be booked here:
If you are interested in attending a focus group for third sector organisations and individuals who self-identify as Black, Asian or minoritised ethnic people who do not work for an NHS Wales organisation, but cannot make any of these dates and times please email: email@example.com and we will arrange an interview with you.